With IPL 2018 coming up shortly, the most celebrated tournament is getting more updates day by day. Adding to the fact that It will be a complete shuffle of Players for the upcoming season, now it is announced that each IPL Teams will be allowed to retain 5 of their OLD players from the previous season. The Retention can be done through Pre Player Auction and During the Auction. Now let us see how the Retention Policy in IPL works and how are IPL teams to retain their old players.
IPL Player Retention Policy
- Each IPL Team are allowed to hold on to 5 Players.
- They can retain a maximum of 3 Players prior to the Auction.
- And retain a maximum of 3 Players during the Auction through Right to Match (RTM) Cards.
- But Only 5 Players are allowed to retained by a team irrespective of the retention done through Pre Auction or RTM.
- For example, If a team retains 3 Players in Pre Player Auction, then they will be allowed to retain 2 players during the Auction through RTM.
What is Right to Match (RTM)?
During the IPL Auction, If the Player is auctioned by a new team, the Old team has the right to pick the same player with the successfully auctioned price, if they want to.
For example: If Dhoni goes back into the auction and is bid for a certain amount by a franchise, then CSK can still get him back using the RTM card by matching the successful bid in the auction.
Each team can retain:
CSK and RR Retention Criteria
The Debate for the coming back teams Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals Player retention comes to an end with this announcement.
CSK and RR are allowed to retain their players.
But they can retain only the player who has played for the new franchises Pune Super Giants and Gujarat Lions only.
So, now CSK can retain both Dhoni and Raina into their team along with their Overseas Counterparts.
CSK can retain the following Players:
MS Dhoni, R Ashwin, Faf du Plessis, Baba Aparajith, Ankush Bains, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo, Brendon McCullum, Dwayne Smith, Andrew Tye, Irfan Pathan and Ishwar Pandey
RR can retain the following players:
Ajinkya Rahane, Steven Smith, Ankit Sharma, Rajat Bhatia, James Faulkner and Dhawal Kulkarni
IPL Players Salary Revised
Franchises will now be available to spend up to INR 80 Crores with a minimum spend of 75% for every team.
The figure will rise to 82 crores in 2019 and 85 crores in 2020.
- First retained player – INR 12.5 crores
- Second Retained Player – 9.5
- Third Retained Player – 7.5
- Fourth Retained Player – 5.5
- Fifth Retained Player – 4 crores
- If a team chooses to retain 3 players, INR 33 crores will be deducted from the base auction purse (15, 11, 7 for the three players respectively)
- If a team chooses to retain two players, INR 21 crores will be deducted (12.5 and 8.5 for the two players respectively) from the purse.
- If a team retains just one player, INR 12.5 crore will be deducted from the purse.
- Each uncapped player retained will cost INR 3 crores from the salary purse.
- Maximum 25 players (earlier 27)
- Maximum 8 overseas players (earlier 9)
- Minimum of 18 players in the team.
Follow US on our Facebook Page for More Updates……