Hitting sixes in Cricket is not every batsman’s cup of tea.
Cheteshwar Pujara scores at a rate of one six per year. Can’t make a fuss about it as he likes to play along the ground mostly!
Then there are few who likes to hit it out of the park thick and fast.
Eoin Morgan, the English captain became the first batsman in ODI cricket to score over 100 runs in sixes in a match in any form of international cricket, when he hit 17 sixes against Afghanistan in a 2019 World Cup game. Here is a list of modern-day cricketers, like Eoin, who can hit sixes at their will.
Let’s look into the players list, who have hit the maximum sixes in a single ODI match!
You can find here –> Overall Sixes Record Chart!
Most Sixes in an ODI Innings
Here is a list of Batsmen who scored more than 12 Sixes in an ODI innings!
|Eoin Morgan (ENG)||17||AFG||Manchester||2019|
|Rohit Sharma (IND)||16||AUS||Bengaluru||2013|
|AB de Villiers (SA)||16||WI||Johannesburg||2015|
|Chris Gayle (WI)||16||ZIM||Canberra||2015|
|Jaskaran Malhotra (USA)||16||PNG||Al Amerat||2021|
|Shane Watson (AUS)||15||BAN||Dhaka||2011|
|Corey Anderson (NZ)||14||WI||Queenstown||2014|
|Chris Gayle (WI)||14||ENG||St George's||2019|
|Jos Buttler (ENG)||14||NED||Amstelveen||2022|
|Thisara Perera (SL)||13||NZ||Mount Maunganui||2019|
|Xavier Marshall (WI)||12||CAN||King City||2008|
|Rohit Sharma (IND)||12||SL||Mohali||2017|
|Chris Gayle (WI)||12||ENG||Bridgetown||2019|
|Jos Butler (ENG)||12||WI||St George's||2019|
Out of these 13 Innings, 12 have come after 2011. Especially, 5 of these instances have come in the first half of 2019 itself.
It shows how six-hitting has become a run-of-the-mill job in cricket nowadays.
For instance, team England scored a total of 18 sixes in the 2015 World Cup and they went on to hit 25 Sixes in a single match in their 2019 World Cup against Afghanistan.
THE TOP 5
- The record for most sixes in a single ODI innings currently belongs to Eoin Morgan of England for the 17 sixes, he hit in his 148 knock against Afghanistan in a World Cup (2019) game.
- Rohit Sharma hit 16 sixes vs Australia in his second double century score of 209 runs.
- AB De Villiers hit 16 sixes against West Indies in Johannesburg when he scored the fastest hundred in ODI. ABD ended with a score of 149 in that innings which included 16 sixes and 9 fours.
- Chris Gayle hit 16 sixes against Zimbabwe in a 2015 World Cup match when he scored his career-best score of 215.
- Jaskaran Malhotra of USA, in September 2021, hit 16 sixes against Papa New Guinea. His score of 173 in that game is the first century by an USA batsman in ODI cricket. He also leads the ODI sixes chart for that year.
Wrapping up things!
Shorter boundaries and flat tracks are only making things easy for batsmen as the sixes have started to come in right from the start of batsmen’s innings.
Batsmen getting used to T20 formats also work in the favour of more sixes in cricket.
Having said that, I suspect the sad state of bowlers in limited overs game will only continue.
Thanks for reading!
A Cricket Blogger | Blogs at Cricindeed.com