With the batting records of the decade listed down, this is CricIndeed’s blog on looking back at the bowling records of the decade 2010.
Lasith Malinga of Sri Lanka leads the ODI wickets in 2010s, (i.e. from 2010 to 2019) , with James Anderson (England) & Rashid Khan (Afghanistan) leading the Test & the T20I wickets tallies respectively in the same period.
In Overall stats, Ravichandran Ashwin from India leads the wickets chart in all 3 formats combined in this decade. He has got 564 wickets in total in the 2010s.
With due respect to all these champion bowlers, bowling is more than just picking wickets. Let’s have a detailed look up on wickets and other bowling records of the concluding decade (2010s).
Most ODI Wickets in this decade (2010s)
|BOWLER||TEAM||WICKETS IN 2010s||INNINGS BOWLED||5-FORS||BEST BOWLING|
|Shakib Al Hasan||BAN||177||129||2||5/29|
- Lasith Malinga, who is the leading wicket taker of this decade, is also happens to be the bowler with most overs bowled (1303.4) and most maidens bowled (69) in ODIs.
- Still, Bhuvneswar Kumar of India impresses with 68 maidens in the 908.3 overs he bowled this decade, which is 404 overs less than what Malinga bowled.
- Among the bowlers who have taken 100 ODI wickets in this decade, Mitchell Starc (Australia) has the best bowling average of 20.99 with 172 wickets, and Mohamad Hafeez (Pakistan) has the best economy rate of 4.11 while striking 101 times in this decade.
- Starc also tops with the best strike rate in this decade of 25.00.
- Shahid Afridi’s 7/12 against West Indies in Providence ground in 2013, is the best ODI bowling performance of this decade.
- Malinga also has the most 5-fors in the time period between 2010 & 2019 in ODIs – 8, followed by Starc, Afridi and Boult ending the decade with 7, 6 & 5 5-fors in the 2010s.
Most Test Wickets in this decade (2010s)
|BOWLER||TEAM||WICKETS IN 2010s||INNINGS BOWLED||5-FORS||10-FORS||BEST BOWLING|
- James Anderson, who leads the Test wickets in this decade, also bowled the most maiden overs in this period. Anderson is also the only bowler with 1000+ maiden overs in 2010s.
- Australian off-spinner Nathan Lyon bowled the maximum overs in this decade – 4047.1
- The best Test bowling performance of 2010s goes to Rangana Herath, Sri Lankan left handed off-spinner, who had a bowling figure of 9/127 against Pakistan in 2014 in Colombo.
- Keshav Maharaj came so close to beat Herath’s figure against Sri Lanka itself in the same ground in 2018, when he ended the innings with a figure of 9/129.
- Best Test Bowling Average of 2010s – Pat Cummins (21.92)
- Best Test Economy Rate of 2010s – Ravindra Jadeja (2.43)
- Best Test Strike Rate of 2010s – Kagiso Rabada (40.0)
- Most 5-fors in Tests in 2010s – Rangana Herath – 30
- Most 10-fors in Tests in 2010s – Rangana Herath – 9
(Among the bowlers with 100+ Test wickets in the decade)
Most T20 International Wickets in this decade (2010s)
|BOWLER||COUNTRY||T20I WICKETS IN 2010S||INNINGS BOWLED||MAIDENS||BEST BOWLING|
|Shakib Al Hasan||BAN||79||64||2||5/20|
- Rashid Khan of Afghanisthan leads the T20I wickets chart of this decade with 84 wickets in the period.
- Only 4 players have taken the esteemed 5-fors in T20Is twice in this decade, namely – Imran Tahir, Lasith Malinga, Ajantha Mendis and Rashid Khan.
- Nuwan Kulasekara of Srilanka has bowled the maximum maiden overs in the shortest cricket format in this decade – 6, followed by Jasprit Bumrah (IND) & Mohammed Nabi (AFG) – 5
- Best T20I Economy rate in 2010s – Imad Wasim (PAK) – 5.96
- Best T20I Strike rate in 2010s- Rashid Khan – 12.2
- Best T20I Bowling average in 2010s- Rashid Khan – 12.2
- The best bowling performance in T20 International this decade has came very late at 2019 – Deepak Chahar (IND) – 6/7 against Bangladesh at Nagpur.
So this is how the 2010s end up. Let’s wait for the new decade to start with more interesting cricket clashes and aspiring bowlers.
A Cricket Blogger | Blogs at Cricindeed.com