An All-rounder’s job in Test cricket never stops when he scores a century or picks a 5-wickets haul in an innings. It has to happen together.
On that scale, here we are to discuss on a player who has picked 5 Wickets & a Century in a same test match, most times in Test Cricket.
Ian Botham, who played for England in the time period of 1976-1992, is the one who had done this most valuable contribution to his team, 5 times in his career.
Ravichandran Ashwin has done it thrice so far.
Ian Botham’s list of 5-Wicket Haul in a Test Innings + a Century in the same match
- Scored 103 & picked 5/73 vs New Zealand, Christchurch, 1978 –> SCORECARD
- Scored 108 & picked 8/34 vs Pakistan, Lord’s, 1978 –> SCORECARD
- Scored 114 & picked 6/58 & 7/48 vs India, Mumbai, 1980 –> SCORECARD
- Scored 149* & picked 6/95 vs Australia, Leeds, 1981 –> SCORECARD
- Scored 138 & picked 5/59 vs New Zealand, Wellington, 1984 –> SCORECARD
The Record for the best bowling figure after scoring a Century in the same Test Match also goes to Ian Botham in the match against Pakistan, where he picked 8/34.
The other cricketers who have picked 5 Wickets & a Century in the same match, more than once are:
- Ravichandran Ashwin (India) – 3
- Sir Garry Sobers (West Indies) – 2
- Mushtaq Mohammad (Pakistan) – 2
- Jacques Kallis (South Africa) – 2
- Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) – 2
100 Runs and 10 Wickets in a Test Match
On the match against India in 1980, Ian Botham picked 10 Wickets in the Match and scored a Century. (Check #3 in the above list)
It is one of the 3 incidents when a player scores a Century and picks a 10-wickets haul in a Test Match.
Others: Imran Khan (Pakistan) & Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh).
Ian Botham was a tremendous All-rounder for England during his times.
His contribution of 383 Test Wickets & 5200 Test Runs in 102 Tests tells the same story.
A Cricket Blogger | Blogs at Cricindeed.com